When life gives you lemons, make an orange zest

Orange Zest
58" x 58"
Finished June 3, 2023
Made for Orange Peel Class Sample - Sew Katie Jean

It all started when my quilting friend, Tammy, decided to buy a quilt store which was an often talked about dream she had.

Tammy had been a teacher for 25+ years and was ready to retire from that and do something different. Sew Katie Jean announced they were selling the shop and wanted to retire. The time had come for Tammy to embark on her next adventure.

In July of this year, it will become a reality.

Tammy asked if our Second Saturday Sewing Sisters would help her either by volunteering or teaching a class.

Tammy and I brainstormed about the various classes I might teach and decided an orange peel quilt would be well received.

Ambrosia was hung up in the shop and the class was advertised. I wrote an artist statement for myself and the class. 

Next, I wrote the directions for the quilt process. This required making additional quilt blocks so I could take photos along the way and have class samples.

And then.... Tammy informed me that they couldn't order the 5" template I had used but instead they would supply a 6" template. (It said it was 6" but it actually ended up being 7").

No problem, I told her I could adjust the instructions.

While I was on a shop hop in April, Tammy sent me a text that people were signing up for the class and wanted a supply list. And oh, by the way, when would I have the replacement quilt finished??? I guess the time had come to make another orange peel quilt using the new template. It wasn't on my radar for quilt projects, but it could be done.

I quickly made up a supply list for fabric measurements and sent it to Tammy.

I had leftover scraps and crumbs from my two feather quilts. I raided my stash for yellows, purples, oranges, and lime greens for additional fabrics to make the required crumb blocks.

Because Ambrosia was made with newsprint fabric, I decided to make this one as well with newsprint. However, I didn't have enough. An order was placed for more fabric.

While I waited for the background/backing fabric, I continued to make crumb blocks and cut out orange peels.

I quilted every morning and evening before and after work. I was in a race to have it finished and delivered before we left for our June vacation to Colorado.

For the quilting, I did a meander around all the Orange Peels. For Ambrosia, I had echo quilted around the petals leaving the petals unquilted. For this quilt, I decided to quilt over the petals with a swirls. I can't decide which I like better, unquilted petals or quilted. Both have their merits.

I branched out of my color comfort zone to add a 3 1/2" yellow border. I had leftover paisley fabric from Feathers that served nicely for the binding. It was backed with more newspaper print fabric.

After the quilting was finished, I noticed the newsprint fabrics were a bit different. But the show must go on! The saving grace - this is a scrap quilt. The different background fabrics adds to the scrappiness.

Mission accomplished! I finished the binding in the car (June) while Nancy, Rondi, and I were on the Central Coast Shop Hop (Atascadero, Morro Bay, Orcott, Buellton, Paso Robles). We spent Saturday and Sunday visiting fabric shops. I finished the binding on the first day. Yay!!

I left my quilt with Nancy to deliver to Tammy to hang in the shop.

One more quilt finished for 2023. I'm calling it Orange Zest because it is an orange peel quilt and made from fun "zesty" fabrics.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of making an additional Orange Peel quilt in preparation for my upcoming quilt class. When life gives you lemons (an unexpected quilt make, having to order fabric, different fabric dye lots, and rushing to finish a quilt before vacation), make an orange zest!


The process of making orange peel crumb blocks

Rondi and I finishing our binding in the hotel room

Every Quilt Tells A Story

Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments