Ambrosia - A delightful confection of scrappy deliciousness

Ambrosia
49" x 49"
Started February 2022- Finished September 2022


I had been perusing Pinterest again and looking at crumb quilts.

Most of the crumb quilts I saw were an entire quilts of crumbs. That's nice, but I wanted to make one with more of a design element. I couldn't find anything like what I envisioned until I saw an Orange Peel quilt. Perfect! I can have my crumb cake/quilt and eat it too.

What's not to love about an Orange Peel? I love the design because you can see both a crisscross and a circle depending upon what you focus on. The circle design is a switch from my normal straight lines.

I set about making fabric with all my crumbs. In all fairness, many of the crumbs/scraps for this quilt came from other people's cast-off fabric rather than my own stash. Recently, I've acquired some fabric that others have wanted to pass along. I'm okay with that. I took all of the scraps from my "adding machine tape quilt" and sewed them up to make fabric to use. Many of the scraps were ones that I considered "ugly" until I cut them, mixed them up, and put them back together. I'm finding that the more variety of crumbs, the better.

Ironically, I had the orange peel design in mind when I saw a YouTube video of making a crumb quilt and one of the designs used the orange peel template. Yahoo! I was even more convinced that this was  the next quilt to make. 

I cut out my petal shapes, and used fusible interfacing to turn the petals so there was a finished edge. I had some fabric with newspaper that I had been wanting to use for a project. I thought the newspaper print would be a great background to highlight the scrappiness yet also give the quilt some character.

In addition to my bringing my crumb quilt vision to completion, I had been preparing for the arrival of my grandson, William, in June. I was going to spend a week with Tiffany and Jimmy and enjoy my first grandchild. In between making family meals and holding William, I thought I could do some sewing projects.  Keith agreed to bring down my sewing machine the first week and then drive it home while I stayed an extra week with precious William before flying home.

I arrived to welcome baby William with my sewing machine, his quilt, and my "projects in a box" (prepared orange peels and postage stamp blocks) in hand.  Little did I know that I would finish both quilt tops (Special Delivery & Ambrosia) while William and Tiffany napped.

I made enough orange peels for a lap size quilt. As it came together, I decided it would be best as a  "smaller" wall hanging than a larger quilt. I now have additional orange peels for another project.  Double win!

Working on this quilt was a pure delightful confection of scrappy deliciousness.  Since this is an Orange Peel quilt, Ambrosia is the perfect name for it. The more fabrics and colors, the more the beauty of Ambrosia emerged.

I found some brown fabric with orange peels on it at Ben Franklins on the "flat fold table" aka bargain for the backing! Woohoo! Even more delightful goodness for Ambrosia.

A blanket stitch was used to secure the peels before quilting. I did an echo stitch around each peel (1/4" away) with my walking foot, and then did my go-to meander/stipple FMQ in between the orange peels.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of my first Orange Peel Quilt, and using turn-edge applique and crumbs.


Ambrosia - Details




Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments