Call me crazy! A rag quilt and more!

Rag Quilt from Angela's Jeans
51” x 51”
Finished August 2019 - Mailed December 2019
For Angela

I took my values quilt to Colorado to finish the binding as we traveled on vacation. Also, I wanted to show my family my new quilt that I had finished.

Call me crazy! I've decided to make quilts for my mom and sisters for Christmas this year. Not table runners like last year but larger lap size quilts!

I have six months to complete everything while still working a full-time job. Can I do it?

I asked my mom and sisters to go through my Pinterest board to see if there was something they might like in terms of a quilt.  I had brought along some fabrics that I thought they might like in the colors of their homes.

In the meantime, Angel had some jeans that were being donated to charity.  I told her that if she wanted to keep them that I could make her a rag quilt out of her old jeans. She loved the idea!

We pulled her denim jeans out of the donation pile and put them in my car to take home to California. I hadn't planned on an additional quilt to the one Angela had chosen for me to make in her colors. (More to follow on her chosen quilt in a later post).

As always, this was a learning experience. Some of the denim was stretch denim which posed some challenges. Flannels in dark blue and light denim were chosen for the backside.

Ragging the edges was done in Susan's car as we traveled on a shop hop all over Nevada with Second Saturday Sewing Sisters.  Poor Susan had strings all over the back seat from the clippings. But, I was able to rag the entire quilt as we traveled. 

We enjoyed a yummy dinner in Tahoe after a full day of shop hopping. What fun to spend the day with my friends and still make progress on my quilting projects!!!!!


Front


Backside

This quilt is for Angela for her September birthday. But, I plan to mail it when I send all the other Christmas quilts. Because of this, I'm counting it towards Operation Christmas Quilt 2019 (Total 2 to-date).

Every quilt tells a story. This is one of the stories of making seven large quilts in six months while working fulltime.

Every Quilt Tells a Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments