Special Delivery - A Postage Stamp Quilt for a Special Lady

Special Delivery
56" x 66"
Top Finished June 2022
Quilted and Gifted - December 2022
A quilt for Michelle Dawson
Fun fact - 1584 Blue & White squares

I was gifted a Big Bag of Blue Bits (BBBB) from a friend of Tammy's. This is the second project that I've made with BBBB. First, it was the Falling Diamonds quilt. Now it is a postage stamp quilt.

I had 2 1/4 yrds. of white fabric and cut this it into 2-inch strips. I didn't know how many blue scraps I had but was dedicated to sew until the white fabric was used up. The blue scraps were already cut into 2 in. squares (Although there were some that were a bit short on one side.) Once all the white fabric was cut and sewed to the blue squares, I had a huge stack of 2 squares. (With a lot more blue squares leftover).

Tiffany and Jimmy were about to become new parents. On June 9, baby William was born. We drove down 2 days later. I took along my sewing machine and all of the blue and white squares as a project to work on between cuddling little William and cooking meals for Tiffany and Jimmy.

Our own Special Delivery

I began assembling the 2 squares into 4 patches. I made sure to use a darker blue in the upper lefthand corner and a lighter/medium blue in the bottom righthand corner. This helped disperse the colors throughout the quilt.

I then assembled these into 16 patches (4x4) resulting in 6 1/2" squares. Because the squares were different sizes, I squared up all of these into 6.25" squares to assemble the finished quilt top.

Within one week's time, I had the top finished. I added a 2" finished border around the entire quilt so the squares would be floating.

During this week, I also completed Ambrosia.

When I got back home again, I didn't have time to do the quilting and it sat in my closet for several months.

I really felt that I would like to give it to Tiffany's mother-in-law, Michelle. I asked Tiffany, and she agreed that Michelle would like it.

I set a goal for myself to have it finished by Christmas.

For the quilting, I stitched diagonally, skipping every other line. Then I went back the other direction. The result was a diamond pattern.

I finished it in December and mailed it down. We did a Facetime call for Christmas with Tim and Michelle. Michelle was really blessed by it.

I enclosed the following letter in the package:


Michelle,

This special quilt was made with love for you.

When I think of this quilt, I recall the special event connected with the making of it. I pieced the quilt top while I was in Southern California welcoming the birth of William. It may look familiar to you because you saw it as it was being put together as you made visits to see baby William.

When I returned home, one morning I felt a strong urging that when the quilt was quilted and bound that I should gift it to you. Other projects have come up since June so I wasn’t able to finish it until now, but I have known for months that it would one day be sent to you.

You welcomed Tiffany into your family even before she and Jimmy were married and for that I’m grateful. Family and traditions have always been important to Tiffany, and it comforts me to know that you are so close in heart and distance to their growing family.

You have also included Spencer into your family celebrations, dinners, and holidays. It has meant so much to me that you have provided a sense of family and home for my son. It brings a smile to my face every time I see him included in your family photos. It is wonderful to know that Spencer has a place where he belongs as he continues to walk in the call on his life which for now includes being single.

I’ve named this quilt “Special Delivery” because it is in the design of a “postage stamp quilt” and it commemorates the special delivery/arrival of our mutual first grandson.

You have done so much for me as you have loved those who are most precious to me, and I wanted to do something special for you. I hope this quilt brings you comfort as you snuggle within its quilty folds.

With love and affection,

Elizabeth


A true postage stamp quilt finishes at 1 in. squares and this one finished at 1.5 in. squares. But, I still consider this a postage stamp quilt because of the sheer number of squares involved (1584 total).

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of making a postage stamp quilt from a bag of 2" squares, and blessing a woman who has become dear to me as she loves those who are most precious to me.


Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments