Teaching my first quilt class


Teaching an orange peel class with crumb blocks

To read more of how I came to teach a quilting class, visit my previous blog post: Orange Zest

The day finally arrived when I was to teach my first quilt class on July 31 and August 5.

I had written an artist statement, a supply list, class instructions complete with photos, and made a class sample for an orange peel quilt.

Prior to class day, I made 12 crumb blocks as a gift/giveaway for the students when they arrived.

Tammy told me I would have eight students. Seven students showed up.

On the first day, we made crumb blocks and cut out orange peel templates. Seven students arrived. Susan Baker was supportive and signed up as well.

It was a learning experience for me. A TV monitor was available in class but it was not hooked up yet. So, the students gathered around as necessary and watched me add crumbs together to make a block.

I enjoyed teaching them this technique and encouraging them for accomplishing this first step of making an orange peel quilt.

On the second day of class, we sewed the peels to the interfacing, ironed onto our blocks, and stitched them down. 

Three of the students made table/bed runners, and two are making wall hangings, and two are making larger quilts. And a few of these projects included my "starter" block that I had given on the first day of class.

I had great feedback from everyone that they enjoyed the class. Although several said, "I'm not really into tiny/small pieces of the crumb blocks." Everyone made it to be what they wanted to get out of it.

I made notes of how to adapt for the next class time should I teach it again. 

Several customers came in while we were sewing and seemed interested in taking the class in the future.

So, it looks like another orange peel class is in my future.

Those in the class asked what other classes I teach. There are two, possibly three, that I am considering teaching (sea glass, Scrabble, and a QAYG string quilt).

The original orange peel quilt advertising the class

Second class sample quilt






Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of teaching my first quilting class and inspiring others to make something new.

Every Quilt Tells A Story

Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine. 

Comments