Celebrating the gift of a baby with a gift of my own



Baby Quilt in Soft Blues and Greens
40" x 40"
Started July 7 - Finished July 12, 2023

For the last year, I have been working with Lisa Zea at LivingWell. We've known each other since 2000 when Hannah and Spencer started preschool together at Forest Lake Christian School.

Hannah and Hunter are expecting their first baby in September. I wanted to celebrate this precious gift of a child with a gift of my own.

I discussed with Lisa the color palette and brought in sample fabric from my stash for her to look at. I have accumulated many fabrics in blue and aqua so I had plenty to choose from.

We chose a pinwheel pattern that I've made before.

I knew I was getting together with my Sewing Sisters and thought this would be a good project to take along.  I prepped everything on the Friday before so I could sew, sew, sew.

On the off chance that Hannah might have a baby shower soon, I sent a text message to Lisa. To my surprise, she said the shower was the following weekend. I didn't expect it to be so soon, and this was additional motivation to take along this project for my Saturday sewing day.

I had leftover fabric from my white and grey Jacob's Ladder quilt that complemented the colored pinwheel blades. I used this grey fabric in each block so there was continuity between the blocks. When Nancy saw the grey fabric, she commented that it looked like the galvanized metal of a windmill.

I also had picked up some white dotted fabric from the flat fold table that I used as background fabric.

I had several possibilities for backing fabric.

On the way to Nancy's for my sewing day, I stopped at Sew Katie Jean (Tammy's new quilt shop) and found a light blue & green grunge fabric that was part of the center quilt block which I had acquired on a previous shop hop. This fabric was better for the back than what I had brought along and a purchase was made.

The blocks were sewn together, laid out, and a 1 1/2 in. sashing (finished) between the blocks was added. Next was adding a 2 in. (finished) border. By the time I left Nancy's home, I had completed the entire quilt top and pin-basted it.

The next day, Sunday, I quilted it in a meander pattern in the white space and did SID around the pinwheel blades.

Three evenings later, I had the quilt hand-bound in grey and delivered to Lisa for the shower.

Capturing a photo of this quilt was done on the fly before sending to its new home. I was on my way to work and was taking along the quilt. Thankfully I have a photo of the initial layout which shows the colors better.

I love this quilt with the soft muted colors. I'm thinking of making a couple more to donate to LivingWell but I still have several quilts commissioned and in line for finishing before that can happen. "So many quilts / so little time."

Hannah wasn't aware that the quilt was being made so it was fun to surprise her. She said the colors matched her baby's room.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of making and gifting a baby quilt to celebrate the gift of a baby created by God.

Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments