Pinwheel Baby Quilts

 


Pinwheel Baby Quilts
40" x 40"
September 2021
A quilt for Shelby Hansen's baby
A quilt for Rebekah Gregory's baby

Two of my friends/co-workers are having babies soon. Rebekah Gregory is due in August and Shelby Hansen is due in September. So, it is time to make some baby quilts.

I had acquired a variety of dotted fabric from a recent shop hop that will be perfect for making pinwheels. I've made pinwheels before but this is a new pattern.  (Video from Missouri Star Quilt Company-Kindred Pinwheels)

It was really fun to see these quilts come together.

I had purchased some speckled dot fabric for backing but thought it would be fun to use as sashing. The dotted sashing made the quilt very playful. I added red cornerstones and red binding. This quilt was gifted to Shelby Hansen.

Quilt for Baby Hansen

For the second quilt, I chose to make the same pinwheels but kept the sashing plain white with red cornerstones. I added a black dotted binding.


A quilt for Baby Gregory

I thought using free motion quilting for two baby quilts would be a great way to practice. I did a meander stitch over the blocks. For the sashing, I did switchbacks. And for the border, I did a loose swirl down the edge. By the time I finished both quilts, I was becoming more confident in using free motion quilting and definitely seeing an improvement.

It was good that I started these quilts early because Rebekah's baby was born a month earlier (July) than expected.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of making two baby quilts using pinwheels and becoming proficient in free motion quilting.

Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.


Comments