The journey of a quilt

 

A quilt given twice
55" x 66"
Top started & finished - April 2023
Quilted & bound - July 2023
Gifted to Stephen - December 2023

Last Christmas, we received the unexpected news that my nephew, Creede, had gotten married. This was a complete surprise because we didn't know that he was dating anyone.

Marriage is to be celebrated and so I decided to make them a quilt to celebrate their new marriage and life together.

I sent a text marriage to Allison to ask what she thought about the idea and the colors and design that would be appropriate.

She responded to say they would love a quilt, but she didn't know what they would like for design and color.

After thinking about it for a week, I decided to make them a Jacob's Ladder quilt like Something Blue Made New in greys and whites. The colors would complement whatever decor they might have. Since I have a plethora of grey fabrics in various patterns in my stash, a scrappy quilt would be easy to accomplish.

It didn't take long to sew up the half-square triangle blocks and four-patches and lay them out. 

I was making great progress when I received a message from Tammy Flynn asking when I would drop off a new orange-peel quilt for my July orange-peel class. Making a second orange-peel quilt was not on my task list.

My attention on this quilt shifted to making an orange-peel quilt. Once that was completed, I went back to finishing this quilt top.

Although I finished the flimsie and basted it before leaving on our trip, I ran out of time to quilt it before our Colorado reunion when we would see Creede and Rain.

When we arrived in Colorado, we found that Creede and Rain were leaving Pagosa Springs the following morning. So, I gifted them a pin-basted quilt and said I would finish it and get it to them.

They were appreciative of the gift and then they spied another quilt in the pile of quilts I had brought to show off to the family.

So, the grey and white quilt was now available to go to a different home.

And then.... Stephen saw this quilt and said, if it was available, he would love to have it. He liked the colors and the design.

While I was in Colorado, we made a trip to Farmington, NM for my dad's doctor's appointment. After a visit to Joanne Fabrics, I found a grey speckled fabric that would serve nicely for the backing and would complement Stephen's home.

Once we returned home, I finished this quilt. There was enough backing fabric to use for the binding as well.

It was quilted with my walking foot through each of the four patch blocks extending the quilting into the border (white thread on front and grey on the back). Using my foot as a guide, I quilted on each side of the triangles' seams.

And now, the quilt is finished. I will be submitting it into our upcoming county fair before gifting it to Stephen for his birthday in December.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of a grey and white Jacob's Ladder quilt intended for a wedding gift, delayed by another quilt project, passed over for another quilt, and submitted into the county fair, all before reaching its forever home.



Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments