Sea Glass Quilt

Sea Glass
38" x 38"
Finished June 24, 2023


I was looking for a quilt that would make use of my scraps when I saw one made to look like sea glass. I must say, it did not disappoint.

Although we do not live near a beach, I thought this quilt idea with sea glass was unique and would be a fun design to try.

I went through my blue, green, and neutral/low-volume scraps collecting pieces to use for my design. Some of these were just small crumbs. I even added a few lavender pieces for a soft surprise element.

The Heat & Bond was put down first sticky side up and then the colored scraps wrong side down using wax paper so the Heat & Bond did not adhere to my iron or pressing surface.

Next I cut these into "stone-like" shapes. Some were made into rounded triangles so they would fit into the corners.

And then it was time to lay it all out.

We were visiting Tiffany, Jimmy, and William for Spring Break (April 2023). I thought this would be a fun project for Tiffany and I to do together. I wanted Tiffany's artistic eye on this first sea glass quilt project.

I had brought along some tan fabric that would serve as the beach sand. The top of the card table gave us a frame to work within and would be the perfect size for a wall hanging.

Tiffany was a huge help as we arranged the lights and darks of each color flowing into the next one.


It was a slow process as I peeled two to three glass pieces, ironed them down, and then added the next ones.

My love for this quilt grew more and more as the pieces were secured into place.

Tiffany expressed that she would like a table runner with sea glass as well. I brought the remaining sea glass pieces to our June reunion where Tiffany and I made a sea glass table runner for their home.

While in Colorado (June 2023), I did the quilting of my wall hanging. Using a free motion foot, I went around each shape about 3 times so the "glass" was secured. When I do this design again, I plan to change my thread between blue, green, aqua, and the whites. For this quilt, I used the same thread for the entire quilt.

The backing fabric was a speckled blue, white, and tan pattern that reminded me of sand as well.

I used an aqua fabric for the binding. I just love binding by hand and was a great way to pass the time as we traveled by car back home to California.

Not only did Tiffany want a table runner, but Allison and Angela requested one as well after seeing this project design.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of making a sea glass quilt using raw edge applique, and making memories with my daughter and sisters.

Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments