Finally, a quilt finished just for me!

Plaidish Quilt
67" x 67"
Started May 2021
Finished January 2023

2023 is the year of "finishing flimsies" and Plaidish is finally having its turn to be finished and enjoyed.

I had been searching for quilts that used scraps. The Plaidish Quilt by Kitchen Table Quilting was perfect and promised to be a real scrap buster. And the pattern was free!

I had a ton of blue and black scraps just waiting to be put into a quilt.

The pattern was very easy, and it was fun to see it come together. There were just 3 blocks to make and the separating of fabrics into light, medium, and dark.

The pattern suggested 64" x 82" as a finished quilt. However, I wanted this one to be more of a lap/couch quilt and made it up as a square by eliminating the bottom 2 rows.

I added a 2 1/2" blue "denim" border strip. The denim fabric had been purchased in a large quantity for Connor's quilt backing but wasn't used because they changed their mind. Slowly, I've been incorporating this fabric into my quilts when I can.

A scrappy quilt needs a scrappy binding. Once I was finished, I took my larger block scraps (4" & 5") and made these into binding strips. I have wanted to do a scrappy binding and this was the perfect opportunity. I also created a flange strip in dark blue. However, once it was sewn together, the flange color blended with my border and you couldn't see it ~ lesson learned for next time.

Scrappy binding

The top for Plaidish was finished in May 2021 and the binding prepared at the same time. Other sewing projects and commissioned orders kept coming up, and it remained hanging in the closet waiting to be quilted. I knew it wouldn't take a long time to quilt because I planned to do straight-line quilting with my walking foot. I decided to do "echo" quilting and quilted a quarter inch from each seam line.

I thought I would be using the denim fabric for the backing, but I found a blue floral print that said, "I belong on Plaidish!" So, Plaidish is now having its moment to shine.

I have been enjoying snuggling on the couch with my own quilt. This is the first quilt, after all the ones I've made (50+ quilts), that is mine to enjoy! The others made have become wall quilts or given away as a gift. I have found myself grabbing this quilt to warm up in the evenings.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of finishing Plaidish (a UFO), using up my scraps, making a scrapping binding with a flange, and making a quilt just for me.


Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.





Comments