Two Memory Quilts for Two Sisters

Two Memory Quilts
For Madeline Zea - 52" x 71"
For Hannah Zeaman - 55" x 66"
Started November 25, 2022
Finished December 18, 2022

In August, Lisa and I had been talking about the t-shirts she had been saving from Madeline and Hannah's outgrown clothes. She was thinking she wanted them made into pillows for the girls. 

It was her decision to make, and I was willing to make either pillows or quilts for them.

After discussing this at length, I encouraged her that if they were made into lap blankets, the girls might enjoy them more. A blanket could be folded and put away or pulled out when needed. A pillow on the other hand would be big and bulky and more difficult to use. Lisa agreed.

It was almost Thanksgiving and Lisa had not brought in the shirts or mentioned anything more. If these were to be made, I would need to start on them soon.

Lisa had been holding off because she thought I was too busy. But, I was persistent and said, "Let's get going on these quilts as soon as possible."

I had time over Thanksgiving, and started cutting, ironing on stabilizer, and laying out the blocks. I did a rough layout of the blocks and over text we rearranged and shifted each block into place. 

There were several items that needed to be used for both girls (Jonas Brothers, American Girl Doll Pajamas bottoms, California State Fair), and we figured out the best way to incorporate these into the quilt for each.

I had a blue/grey speckled fabric that I had purchased for a back for one of my (personal) quilt tops and the colors worked well for both of the t-shirt quilts. This is what I used for the sashing and border.

Within one week's time, I had both quilt tops finished.

Next, we talked about backing. I had some flannel with trees and woodland animals that I had used for Climb Every Mountain. I brought this to work to show Lisa the difference between flannel and cotton backing. Lisa fell in love with that fabric immediately saying that it would remind the girls of their growing up years in Grass Valley.

The problem was I had purchased the original fabric at Joann's in Southern California almost a year prior as part of their Christmas/winter fabric.

Wonder of wonders, the fabric was available online at Joann's and it was on sale. I quickly ordered the fabric. There was a glitch in my order, and I ended up ordering a lot more than what was needed. (More fabric for a future quilt - A win in my book!) In addition, it would be coming in two packages.

The first package arrived within 2 days, but it was the smaller cut. With the leftovers from Climb Every Mountain and this package, I was able to piece the back together for the first quilt.

I quilted in the ditch around each t-shirt and then on the shirts where you wouldn't see the thread. I used a monofilament clear thread to do this.

For the binding, I was able to use the blue denim fabric that I purchased long ago for quilt backing but that never happened. It has sure come in handy for this and other projects including The Mammoth - their brother's quilt. The binding was done by machine. As much as I wanted to do this by hand, we were under a time crunch to get both done before Christmas and before my kids arrived for the holidays.

Quilt #1 for Hannah
55" x 66"

Hannah's quilt included several pairs of PJ pants, a Roxy shirt, and an APU shirt. Lisa and I had several laughs about the APU shirt because it said, "I Love APU." But actually, Hannah didn't love APU so we cut that part off. She now had a memory of APU but not the part that wasn't accurate.

Quilt #2 for Madeline
52" x 71"

Next, I finished Madeline's quilt. Madeline had some special memories of The Jonas Brothers Concert, Hello Kitty, Biola, and FLCS student council. We even had parts of two sweatshirts logos that were used. The Student Council shirt had to be pieced because there were parts of the original shirt that needed to be eliminated resulting in more laughter on how to make it all work.

I was getting anxious waiting for the remaining fabric because of the project deadline. About a week after the first flannel backing order, the second package finally arrived.

Each night after work for a week, I was quilting to finish this second quilt gift.

Madeline's also received a machine sewn binding with monofilament in the bobbin so the stitching wouldn't be noticeable. Although I always prefer hand binding, I think it turned out quite well.

Twenty-three days from start to finish and two t-shirt quilts for two sisters were done in time for Christmas morning.

The responses from everyone warmed my heart:

From Lisa on Christmas Day -
THE GIRLS LOVED THEIR BLANKETS! It was their favorite present!!! Thank you for the LOVE you put into each one! You're the BEST! Merry Christmas!

From Hannah - 
Hi Elizabeth! Merry Christmas! I just wanted to thank you so so much for the absolutely beautiful quilt you made us! It is so amazing and so special and you did an incredible job! Something I will treasure forever. Thank you so much.

From Madeline - 
Hi Elizabeth! I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for making our blankets!! You are amazing!!! It was such a thoughtful gift from my mama and wouldn't have been possible without you! They are beautiful!!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

I watched these two girls grow up over the years. Hannah was in preschool with Spencer, and they attended FLCS from preschool through high school graduation. Madeline, three years older, was a year behind Tiffany in school. In addition, I had the pleasure of working with Madeline when she was an advocate at LivingWell. It was a joy to get to know her better.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of capturing the memories of two sisters through t-shirt quilts while reminiscing on the childhood of my own children. 

Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.


Comments