Tranquility


Tranquility
66" x 66"
September 2021

In thinking about writing Tranquility's quilt story, one theme came to mind and that is the beauty of friendship.

Tranquility was made from a pattern called Antique Lace by Jenny Doan. Jenny tells the story of finding a vintage quilt block at a thrift store. This story caught my attention and reminded me of days gone by when women would get together for regular quilting bees.

Nancy, Susan, Rondi, Tammy, and I (and Mary when she is in the area) meet the second Saturday of each month to quilt. We call our group - Second Saturday Sewing Sisters. Why join a Quilting Guild when I have my own group of quilting friends? Because Nancy's home is central for all of us, not to mention she has a huge family room that is perfect, we meet once a month for an all-day sewing day. We have created our own modern quilting bee where we sew, talk, share stories of our kids, swap recipes, and lift each other in prayer. Often, we get ideas for our next project as see what others have made or are working on.

Hand sewing of days gone by has given way to the whir of our sewing machine motors.

The fabric for Tranquility was purchased when I was on a shop hop with my Sewing Sisters. I had been looking for florals to make a watercolor quilt. When I saw a jelly roll of floral fabrics on the sale rack at one of the shops, I couldn't resist purchasing it. My enthusiasm for this new quilt pattern caused me to forego the watercolor quilt and making something completely different.

After watching Jenny's video many times, I had the measurements and instructions for construction of the block.

I pulled all the lighter fabrics in blues, greens, and pinks from the bundle. The background fabric was pulled from my stash of white fabric. One of the finished blocks had a bit darker fabric, so it was placed in the middle of the quilt.

I love the secondary block that is formed when the blocks are put together and the four different colors that meet for a pinwheel in the center.

I made this quilt while at one of our Saturday sewing sessions, again reminiscent of the old fashion quilting bee with friends.

As I made it, Nancy was inspired to make one for her own bedroom.

The block construction came together quickly, and it wasn't long before I had finished my beautiful quilt.

I ordered some of the green floral fabric that was in my jelly roll bundle for the backing and binding.

I have been wanting to learn free motion quilting but haven't yet, and my stack of unfinished projects waiting for quilting is growing. Because I wanted something more than SID, I decided to treat myself and have it quilted by Val who had quilted my Asian Quilt for me. 

If I was going to pay to have it quilted, I wanted the thread to show. We picked a soft mint green that would show the fancier quilting yet not overpower the blocks. We chose a flower motif called Clematis (the same quilting used for my Asian Quilt.).

I must say, I absolutely love how it turned out.

I chose to name this quilt Tranquility because when I look at it, the subdued colors speak peace into my soul.

DECEMBER 2022 UPDATE:
Cheryle, one of my co-workers asked if she might buy one of my quilts for her sister named Rose. I asked what Rose liked and she commented that Rose liked florals. Tranquility is the perfect quilt for a woman named Rose with its floral fabrics and quilting motif. I pray that Tranquility will bring comfort to Rose as she snuggles within its folds.

Every quilt tells a story. This is the story of friendship through a quilt named Tranquility, a quilt made with a vintage block pattern; fabric purchased while shopping with friends; sewn with these same friends; and later quilted with a soft floral pattern. Finally, Tranquility's story continues as she blesses Rose in her home.



Every Quilt Tells A Story
Whether it is the fabrics chosen, the design, the colors, the occasion, the recipient, or the people I quilt with, every quilt tells a story. This blog captures in images and words what has been created for others and for my own home through the hum and stitching of my sewing machine.

Comments